[C320-list] Radar Mount... Pole, Backstay or Mast?

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 21 05:32:39 PDT 2015

Doug & Jeff:

"The other thing I did not like was that the stern rail seemed to be coming
loose, no doubt from the added stress of supporting the radar pole."

This is more than 'seemed'. Bear came with a pole-mount radar setup. I
removed this on her arrival as I river-sail and just don't need it. The
installation had a pole butt bracket bolted to starboard transom seat, and
an Edison fitting clamping the pole to the top stern rail. This section of
the stern rail was so bent by torque from the weight of the dome on the
pole-top that it was out of alignment with the rail on the other side and
hence the stern ladder needing you to pull the ladder to the rear to allow
the starboard locking clamp to drop into place. The rail base where it bolts
to the fiberglass was bent upward.  This was a state of affairs not noted by
my surveyor during the February inspection (I never saw this US boat before
it was delivered to me in Canada and used the surveyor association to find
the surveyor I also never saw).

I have seen installations on non-C320s which use SS bracing bolted to the
transom in addition to the butt bracket. Based on how these installations
seem to be weathering, I would recommend this approach over clamping the
pole to the stern rail for support. That, or I would investigate other
installation methods with the one used on my boat as a last resort.

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too

---