[C320-list] Hose Priming on Replacement?

Joel Krauska joel at krauska.net
Sun Apr 26 23:05:21 PDT 2015

While waiting two weeks for a mechanic to replace some of my hoses, I'm
beginning to think I want to tackle the job myself.  The exhaust and
venting hoses seem straightforward enough. (if a bit awkward to get to and
nasty to cut.)

What I'm mostly hesitating on his replacing the cooling water intake hose.

I imagine popping the old one off (after closing the thruhull -- heh) will
be a bit messy.

I can deal with the spillage, but I'm concerned about what to do after
installing a new replacement.

Will the yanmar create suction to pull in all the water it needs and burp
out the air, or do these lines need to be somehow primed?

The other 'wet' hose I have questions about would be the pair that leads to
the water heater.  Does that line need to be filled with water before
replacing?

I image I'm over thinking this, but wanted to ask the 'professionals' here
for hose swapping advice.

(My main line of thinking being that I don't think anyone did anything
'smart' during the last haulout, and I imagine the hoses could have drained
out.)

Cheers,

Joel
Grace #802