[C320-list] Bilge Diesel

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 28 13:56:41 PDT 2015

All:

When removing antifreeze from the bilge on Sunday in preparation for launch
May 02, I found a little diesel in the aft section of bilge exposed when
lifting the inspection plate on the floor the main cabin. I cleaned this. I
was at the boat again today (Tuesday) to do the hull wax and buff to find a
½ cup more fuel in the same area. Where I can actually trace back the leak,
it is coming from the starboard side and from under the floor of the head.
In the aft cabin the leak is further back than the plastic water tank. It is
coming from the area of the fuel tank, and not the engine.

I filled the tank on the hard in cold November. It is now +22 C in Ottawa.
It is possible that there is expansion of the fuel and a resulting leak
other than in the actual tank wall. Launch cannot be delayed, and I must go
in with club launch Saturday so I cannot further address this until Monday
May 04. At that time I want to move quickly. Currently the leak is slow, and
I have a bilge sock positioned in the way of the flow.

In the event that it proves to be the tank, if someone reading this has
already addressed this matter and done a tank replacement, I would
appreciate insight into the process, tips to make the remove/install
progress more smoothly, and ‘should have dones’ that I should be
considering.

Source of the replacement tank. A quick look online shows a 19 gallon US
aluminum from Catalina Direct for 536$, with a 50$ packaging fee and call
for special shipping charges (all amounts USD). Is there a better source? A
different tank material? Should I consider options like an inspection plate
(which deletes the internal tank baffle)?

Removal of the old tank. How is the tank swap physically done? Can it be
moved out of the starboard stern locker hatch?

Install of the new tank. Is there additional securing or isolation that
should be installed between the new tank and the boat to increase the time
to next failure?

Clean-up. There are products which can be used to clean up the spill. Is
there a superior product? There are areas (such as under the head floor)
where I have no access. Is there a technique which can be used to clean
these difficult to access areas? Will I need to be looking at some form of
sealing paint to eliminate diesel odor?

Might as wells. With the fuel tank removed (as well as all of the locker
detritus displaced to allow access) is there some other unrelated
maintenance that I should be considering given that the area can now be
accessed for the first time since new?

I am also curious. My previous boat experienced failure of its aluminum fuel
tank after 28 years. Bear originally went into service in 2000. Is 15 years
unusual for a tank failure?

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too