[C320-list] Bilge Diesel

Jon Vez Jonvez at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 14:34:20 PDT 2015

Brian,
I would say with some certainty that your tank is leaking given where you're finding the fuel, the age of the tank and the fact that it continues to leak. Mine started leaking at 12 years. Jeff Hare just commissioned a larger tank that will fit a 320 and you may want to speak with him about that option. As to some of your questions:
--it's a straightforward replacement. The tank will only come out from the aft berth access hatch with the wood trim removed, not the lazarette.
--you will not have to delay your launch as the leak is very slow and you will be able to do this anywhere. The biggest issue will be removing the fuel. I used a pump attached to a drill and emptied into jerry cans through the sender hole.
--According to Nigel Calder, an aluminum tank can be expected to last 8-12 years. Of course they can go much longer. The new tanks have much thicker walls .90 vs .125, however your leak is most likely at a seam.
Once the tank is removed, getting the fuel cleaned up is pretty easy as long as you keep it contained in the aft berth area with absorbing socks. Once the tank is removed you can clean up the area pretty easily with a detergent like simple green and Pureayre. If the area is dirty, you can consider re painting with an epoxy based paint like bilge paint. However I did not find this necessary.

I know several others have done this as well, so I'm sure you will get further advice.
I know when I went through this, I denied it was the tank in my own mind and that was a mistake as all it did was create more fuel to clean up...kind of like going to the dentist at first sign of a toothache....

Good luck....

Jon
 formerly #582

Sent from my iPad