[C320-list] Bilge Diesel

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Tue Apr 28 22:05:37 PDT 2015

Brian,
I concur with Jon's assessment about the fuel tank replacement process. However, you may not have a fuel tank leak due to perforation of a seam or a tank wall if you overfilled the tank. You could now be seeing fuel seepage from either the tank fittings or most likely the fuel sender or sender gasket. I had the same issue a year ago and found that the sender gasket was leaking after having topped off the tank the previous fall while the boat was stored on its cradle with the bow higher than the stern. I experienced fuel seeping from the sender gasket when the boat was launched and sitting level at the dock.

By pulling off the starboard aft corner storage shelf above the tank, you will be able to see if the fuel is leaking from the sender or from any fittings on the top of the tank (due to topping off the fuel tank last fall).  If you do not find any fuel on top of the tank, then you probably have fuel seeping from the forward port corner of the tank.  If you are lucky, you just have a sender gasket leaking and you may be able to get by for this season by applying some liquid thread sealer to the top side leak. You will first need to remove two gallons of fuel to stop the seepage if it is coming from your sender area or a fuel fitting. I removed the 90 degree fitting used for the return fuel line barb (that fitting is on aft end, the port side of the tank,   adjacent to the larger fuel filler hose and right next to the overflow/air hose). I used a topsider oil removal pump and sent a narrow plastic tube down into tank and pumped out a couple of gallons. Do not attempt to remove fuel by removing the sender or fuel feed line fitting located at the forward end of the tank because with an overfilled tank, the fuel will just gush until it either stops or you can stop that sudden and massive loss of fuel.....imagine lots more fuel seeping under the hull liner! Next, clean the sender and gasket and tank area to remove the fuel residue on the top of the tank with a grease cutting cleaner like "409" and then dry off that area. Last step,  apply some liquid thread sealer  "goop" that is available at NAPA or any other auto supply store for a something like $4. The thread sealer did not dissolve over the entire season.  I did tweak the sender screws before applying the sealant to ensure that the gasket was tight, but I am convinced that applying the liquid thread sealer to encapsulating the sender screws and gasket is what stopped the leak was taking place ( I had installed new sender the previous season but did not apply any thread sealer.) Using two coats of sealer with several hours drying time between coats,  did the trick for me. I  topped off the tank several times without another leak last season.

 I cleaned up the fuel seepage that found its way under the bilge liner by using lots of Bounty towels to first wipe up fuel followed by leaving ample amounts of towels to wick-up the fuel. Next, I  used a generous dose of "Dawn lemon" liquid dishwashing soap with very little water followed by two very, very strong concentration and large rinses of "Simple Green" (large concentration size available at SAMs Club). I poured the Simple Green in and around and under the tank area so that it drained to the very lowest areas where the fuel traveled and then removed that residue with the paper towels where possible. The Dawn soap loosened up the fuel residue and the Simple Green removed the Dawn & fuel mix, as well as removing the fuel smell.  I could access that area where the forward most corner of the aft water tank rests by wicking paper towels in that area to first remove the fuel and then the Dawn soap residue and Simple Green rinses. Also, on my hull, I can access the area below the cabin sole where an inspection port provides access the hull below the bilge liner. I could get an arm sweep under the liner to wipe up lots of fuel and then the soap residue and rinse. After the strong Simple Green rinses and removal, it took about a two weeks for the Simple Green to completely dry up and that soap odor to cease.

After the fuel clean-up drill last year, and with a 20 year old 320 (hull #277), I  decided to avoid another fuel leak cleanup episode by making plans to just replace the aging tank. Upon haul out last fall I ordered a new fuel tank from Catalina Direct ( I found that for me, CD had the best available price after considering shipping).  I removed the old tank last week and am going to install the new tank tomorrow.  I will also paint on a coat or two of liquid thread sealer "goop" over the new fitting threads, over the fuel sender screws and gasket edge, and, also do two coat over the inspection port bolts and gasket edges, given what I learned over the past year.

With an aging aluminum tank, it is not a matter of "if" the tank could ever leak, but really a matter of being prepared "when" the tank is going to leak.... or better yet, anticipate a planned replacement before the tank leaks. Preventing a fuel seepage problem is much preferred when the day is out there for an aluminum tank to leak based on my extensive research last fall of several popular owner sailing blogs regarding aluminum tank leakage problems.  I learned  that most reported aluminum tanks leaks took place between 15 & 25 years.....some sooner and some later, depending on how successful owners were about removing the water or condensate from their fuel to reduce the nasty goo from forming in the lowest corner of the tank that produces a chemical interaction that perforates an aluminum tank (on a 320 it is going to be the forward most port corner). Hence, I ordered an inspection port on the new tank to provide easy access to remove the lowest lying quart or two of fuel every few years, or if necessary, to remove any nasty goo from the forward port corner.
Hope you found this lengthy reply helpful. Feel free to contact me for more info "off  list" at my email address.
Rick;  My-Ria 95 320 hull #277