[C320-list] Bilge Diesel

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Wed Apr 29 08:15:24 PDT 2015

Brian,

I do know that my yard manager advised me last fall when topping off
that I should leave a little head space in the tank for expansion. It
was a very cold November day and I was topping off a half full tank to
reduce the air trapped in the tank over the winter. He told me that a
common problem is that fuel will expand when we get a warm day and start
leaking out the vent. However, I wouldn't think you should have any
scenario where fuel would leak IN THE BOAT due to expansion as long as
your vent is clear.

Last year I identified a leak with my sender unit and (I think) that I
tackled it. Keeping my fingers crossed this spring that it's fixed. The
tank ONLY leaked when I filled it all the way, and then periodically
when on a starboard tack until I had used enough fuel to keep the sender
unit from being an issue. This could be be your problem if you topped
off so much that the fuel level went up the fill neck. Keep an eye on it
this year and see if the leak stops once you've used a few gallons of
fuel. Then if it reappears when you're sailing it could be the sender
unit. Alternatively, if you have an easy way to remove the fuel (into an
approved container) to about a half tank and see if your problem goes
away, this could be a clue for you.

I've not tackled the tank replacement job, but others here have, and
Jeff Hare posted just a couple months ago that he had finalized a new
tank design that would have a slightly higher capacity. Haven't seen the
follow-up post detailing his work, so no idea if he's done the job yet.
As always, Jeff is very thorough and his projects are always first-rate.
I'm sure an article will be forthcoming when he has a chance.

I'm surprised he hasn't answered in this thread yet. Maybe he's stuck
down in his lazarette locker waiting for one of us to rescue him... ;-)

A new fuel tank is definitely on my "project list" but I haven't set a
date yet. Kinda waiting for results on Jeff's install first. Hoping the
sender unit fix will buy me some time. Plus I will have to temporarily
remove my air conditioner unit to make room for the old and new tanks to
pass through.

Please share the outcome of your troubleshooting with the group.

Cheers,

---
Doug Treff
Catalina 320 - 1996 - September Song - #350
http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/
doug at treff.us