[C320-list] Fuel tank update

Jeff catalina at thehares.com
Thu Apr 30 08:56:42 PDT 2015

Hi All,

As I wrote earlier, I was designing a replacement fuel tank for the c320 with a bit more capacity.  I did a dry fit of the new tank today which arrived early last week.  It slid in easily through the aft cabin and fit nicely.  The shutoff and sender are more accessible now, the fresh water fill, vent and bilge pump hoses all pass cleanly in front of the tank along the wall now instead of snaking up over the top of the tank.  The starboard aft shelf does not need any modifications with this tank fortunately.

I was shooting for 26 gallons initially, but after fitting a full scale model I opted to tweak the width dimensions a bit differently to guarantee an easier fit through the access hatch. In the end the new tank holds a bit over 23 gallons up from 19.  The aft end of the tank could easily be lengthened to add several more gallons more but I'm satisfied with the extra 4.5 gallons in the end.

The new tank is about 3.5" wider and a few inches longer than the stock tank. It sits closer to the rudder post allowing outboard side of the tank to be taller and have less taper.  The inboard and aft wooden braces have to be removed which was not too difficult. Just had to cut the fiberglass tabbing that held it in place.  It didn't take long. So far I have marked where the new braces need to go and will install the new ones next.

We decided to roll a few coats of truck bed liner paint on the sides and bottom of the new tank to  help protect against corrosion.

I've been taking pictures along the way so I'll document it soon.

More later.

Jeff Hare