[C320-list] Main Sail Mast Furler

Bill Lowe wflowe3 at aim.com
Sun Aug 9 06:54:47 PDT 2015

 Is your system the Z-Spar (US Spar) or the Seldon continuous line ? I have had both, Z Spar on a Beneteau and currently the Seldon ?system on my 320. The Seldon is a definite improvement over the older Z Spar rig. Others have given good advice for using the Seldon but if you have the other, here are a couple of thoughts that I hope help.

The mast slot where the sail goes in/out on the older system is narrower so wrinkles in the sail from loose furling make it much more difficult to use; therefore you really have to keep tension on the sail when furling. If the wrinkles become permanently "ironed" in, I would send the sail to Sailcare for rehab. ?It also helps on both systems to keep on a slight starboard tack when furling. ?This provides a straighter entry angle into the mast. ?You can find information on maintenance of the Z Spar mast on the US Spar website.

?Another problem I had with the old system was that the furling lines were too large (diameter) and once they had some age on them and became a little frayed, the reel jammed up sometimes. ?Replacing the lines made things work much better.?

Good luck
Bill