[C320-list] Mixing elbow failure

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Aug 18 06:49:18 PDT 2015

All,

I had the misfortune of suffering a failure of the mixing elbow this
weekend. Apparently it partially clogged and exhaust was leaking into
the engine compartment. Fortunately I was able to run it very gently
back to the slip by keeping the RPMS low. The engine temp never went
over 180 and I continued to have a strong amount of water coming out of
the exhaust port on the hull.

I have a mechanic looking at it this week to give me the official
diagnosis but based on what I could see, it was the mixing elbow. I just
hope that the head gasket wasn't blown due to excessive back pressure.

Unfortunately now my entire engine compartment is covered in a layer of
soot. I am thinking Simple Green might clean it but I am open to
suggestions if you have any. Wiping down the entire engine and all of
its nooks and crannies sounds like a time consuming and nasty job.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us