[C320-list] Galley Sink Won't Drain

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Aug 20 08:01:56 PDT 2015

Hi Tim,

Pretty simple to clear a clog.   You'll need a flexible snake or piece of relatively stiff tubing (~3/8" OD) that will fit inside the drain line and also inside the seacock.

I'd remove the drawers, then unscrew the 5 screws holding the frame and set it aside.  Disconnect the hose at the sink fitting (not down at the seacock).  Keeping the top of the drain hose up you should be able to open the seacock without water coming into the boat.  Feed the half inch hose or snake down the tube to clear out  the obstruction.  I prefer a rubber or plastic tube to anything metal for this.

BTW, this is why I keep a 3' piece of clear 5/8" hose on board.  If I get a thru-hull clog, sometimes it's easier to close the thru-hull, stick the clear hose on the thru-hull and then use my smaller diameter hose to jam out the obstruction.  You can see when it's clear because of the water level in the hose.  Then just blow into the hose until the water disappears from the hose, close the thru-hull and you don't have anything much to mop up.

The little white thing on the side of the seacock handle is a plug.  This just pops out and reveals the screw holding the handle in place.  Do NOT remove the screw for the handle under any circumstances with the boat in the water.  The little white plug, on the other hand is useful.  It is designed to plug the thru-hull from the outside.  This plug has a loop on it so that you can tie a long string on it.  You swim under the boat, plug the thru-hull from the outside and then when you're done, you can pull on the string to remove it to save you from a second dive.

That's the theory anyway.

-Jeff