[C320-list] Winter layup in upstate NY

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Dec 3 17:00:13 PST 2015

If you have standard flooded batteries, and can plug in for a few days every couple months over the winter, you'll be just fine.
If you have AGM batteries, charge them and they'll be fully charged still in the spring.
There's no point in taking them home.  If you don't have shore power available, a small ~10 watt solar battery charger connected to them will keep them nicely topped up over the winter.

BUT, we just disconnect the ground terminals from all the batteries over the winter just to be sure there's nothing drawing them down (like battery monitors, etc).  If you don't have anything like that, then you could leave them connected.  But remember that the bilge pump is typically wired to bypass the A-B-Both switch, so unless you're at risk of sinking on land, disconnecting the batteries is a good idea.  :)

For the compass, just leave it in place.  :)  It'll be totally fine.

Normally it's suggested to change the engine oil before storage because of the sulfuric acid that naturally builds up in the oil from the sulfur in the diesel fuel.  It can slowly eat away at the metals if there's enough acid in the mix.  Fuel filters and transmission oil are easily put off till spring.  Coolant should be checked to be sure it won't freeze in your zone, but there's little urgency there either.

My $.02
-Jeff Hare