[C320-list] Winter layup in upstate NY

Daryl Hunt drhunt at rochester.rr.com
Fri Dec 4 12:55:42 PST 2015

Thanks to all those who responded to my questions!  (Yes, I remember
meeting you Jim!)

I did change the engine oil prior to haulout, winterized the fresh water
cooling and all the plumbing.  My PO left me a very well-maintained and
well-equipped vessel, including a very nice custom winter cover with
frame.  I changed storage locations so I could haul and store with the
mast up.  It also happens to be right behind my office so I can keep an
eye on it.   I'm taking the consensus advice to leave the charged
batteries and compass on board.  A few have suggested disconnecting the
ground or both battery cables.   Wouldn't opening the DC breaker have
the same  or similar effect?

/Best regards,/

/Daryl   -   '99 C320 #660 Believe
/

Daryl R. Hunt
Navy Point Yacht Sales
22 Marina Drive, Rochester NY 14617
(585) 266-3980 Office
(585) 233-7814 Mobile
(585) 266-3985 Fax
navypointyachtsales.com/Rochester
<http://navypointyachtsales.com/rochester/?slim=pp267206&lineonly&ywoid=23540&ps=100>

Navy Point logo <http://www.navypointyachtsales.com/Rochester>/
Catalina - Jeanneau/

/Life is too short to sit at the dock!/

On 12/04/15 8:11 AM, James Sweet wrote:
> Daryl,
>
> I believe we met @ SBYC this summer-we have #902 and store @ Katlynn in Sodus Point.  I leave the batteries in and plug the boat in once a month for a day.  I firmly believe that has saved me from a ruptured disc and a hernia.  The first set of batteries lasted 10 years.  I have never removed the compass from any of our boats in the last 30 years (all in upstate NY or MN) and have had no issues.
>
> Jim Sweet TGIF (Thank God It Floats) #902
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Dec 3, 2015, at 7:43 PM, Daryl Hunt <drhunt at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>> I just finished putting my '99 C320 Believe through the extensive winter layup checklist from the C320 owners site.  I put off a few items until spring, including changing transmission oil, engine coolant and fuel filters.
>>     I had one question for other owners from the frozen north regarding the dc system.  Do you remove your batteries and store indoors or leave on board but keep charged with a smart charger on 110 AC through the shore power connection?
>> Bonus question.  Do you remove your binnacle compass?  I've never done that on my 3 previous boats.
>> Thanks, Daryl'99 C320 #660 BelieveRochester, NY

---