[C320-list] Electrical issues asking for help

dmcnamara3 at woh.rr.com dmcnamara3 at woh.rr.com
Mon Jul 6 17:09:43 PDT 2015

I am a new owner of a 1994 Catalina 320 #64.  It has a Perkins 29 HP  diesel. One of the issues I am having is with the charging system.  I am not getting any charge voltage.  I pulled the alternator off and had it checked.  It was pronounced dead.  I purchased a new one and installed it.  I am still not getting any charge from it (according to the red light on and the volt meter at the helm).  I have checked the big fuse on the back side of the engine it is good. The other issue I am having ( and I do believe it may be related) is the #1 battery position on the battery switch appears to be bad.  Does anyone know what the part number is for the "Guest" battery switch is? I could not find a number on mine.
Lastly, I did have have the starter solenoid stick on me and I had to tap it to start the engine.  Is there a prefered source for Perkins parts in the US?is replacing the starter and solenoid as a unit the prefered method? or can I just replace the solenoid?
This boat has been sitting on the hard for the last 5 years so I imagine some of the issues  I am having are related to this.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Dan