[C320-list] Aft water holding tank leaks

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 12:13:18 PDT 2015

Ted

The fundamental problem is not the stopcocks but the fact that your inspection plate leaks! Even with the front tank empty if your aft tank is full and the boat is pitching and rolling, water will slop out of the inspection plate and end up in the bilge

Remove the plate - on my boat it is a threaded bung with a large square boss on top -  and wrap the thread with several turns of PTFE tape.  If you want to be sure, take some PTFE tape first, and twist it into a thread which you can wind into the grooves of the thread and then put a few turns of flat tape over the top to hold it in place.

Be careful not to over-tighten though.

I did this three years ago when we found it leaking and no problem since.

As an aside I recommend using the stop-cocks to only us one tank at a time and then (a) you get a warning you are running low when the first one runs out and (b) if theres ever any contamination (some idiot puts salt water or diesel into the tank) you can isolate it.

Best wishes

Graeme