[C320-list] Low speed under Load

Donald Lawson dnclaws at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 14:45:29 PDT 2015

All
Thanks for all the info.
Changed  all filters, (Oil, fuel & air) within last 2 weeks.  No change.
Pulled mixing elbow. Looks good, no blockage. Inside of exhaust riser looks good. No black stuff. Good water in exhaust.

MaxProp serviced last haulout in 2014 (Lubriplate grease thru a zerc fitting). Lubriplate is spec'd by PYI. It is a 3 Blade MaxProp  15'' dia. set to 11.4" pitch.  The yard originally set the pitch at 12.5" but backed it off after sea trials, according to the data given to me by the first owner. I believe the boat came with a fixed 3 blade 15R12 from the factory.  Some may have come with 2 blade 15R9?  Worked great from San Diego to Ventura 3 times at 6-7knots  and numerous trips to Santa Cruz Isl/San Nicholas Isl.  Hard for me to believe it now works great up to 2000rpm then fails .  It is not a variable pitch prop. Local Boat Yard says if MaxProp is good at 2000 rpm then should be good at 3000rpm. Can a MaxProp change its pitch if it Fails some way?

I can get 3600 rpm in neutral. No smoke of any kind except some water vapor when temp gets to 180 or so.

Heat exchanger core in mine was upgraded under warranty before I bought it.
The thermostat in the 3YM30 is spec'd to be fully open at 185 F. Expect some variation between actual and gauge?  I expect the gauge is not  accurate.  I am going to get a temp gun at Harbor Freight
   and verify actual vs gauge temps one of these days. Same with tachometer, one of these days.

I also have Kanzaki trans with 2.62:1 gear ratio. Local Boat doctor indicated that he has rebuilt a couple of Trans of this make and model due to clutch slipping. Also calling the MaxProp folks for their input.
I will keep everyone posted.
Don
"Mandolin Wind"

On Jul 14, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Jeff Hare wrote:

> Sounds like you're set up perfectly!  I'm jealous!  180-190 is perfectly fine (in fact, a good thing).  You really do want it to run in this temp range.  200+ is starting to get a bit hot for my taste, but ours runs all day at 180-185 so don't sweat it up to ~190.  When we run 3200 rpm for more than 20 min or so we hit 190.
>
> -Jeff

>>> 2:  Clogged elbow
>>> 3:  Dirty prop  (ruled this one out)