[C320-list] Wing vs Fin

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Jul 18 12:34:27 PDT 2015

Bruce, you seem to be suggesting that the extra weight of the wing keel
causes the boat to sit 4-5 inches lower in the water. But It takes a lot
more than 400 pounds to sink a 320 by 4 inches. 400 pounds is only about
3.5% of the total displacement of a fin keel 320, and is equivalent to
about 6.5 cubic feet of water. I'm sure the cross section of the hull at
the water line is conservatively at least 100 square feet. So depressing
that by 4 inches would be displacing at least 33 cubic feet of water,
equivalent to roughly 2000 pounds.