[C320-list] Replacement Autopilot recommendation

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 02:06:13 PDT 2015

My previous 320 came fitted with Raymarine ST4000 wheel pilot, which suffered from the usual problem of a disengaging clutch lever and poor performance in anything other than light winds and seas.

Seduced by the sales talk of a Raymarine rep at a boat show, I invested in their new SPX-5, being assured that it would revolutionise performance. The difference was undetectable, the drive motor broke within weeks (replaced under warranty) and - not that I really use the feature - even on a flat clam day its ability to intercept and follow a course on the plotter was dire!

My current 320 has an even older wheel-pilot fitted, a WP10 by Simrad, which has broken so I am considering replacements

Raymarine are now  offering the Evolution range, which will supposedly ‘revolutionise performance’…uh-oh, haven't i heard that somewhere before.

So to say i am not best disposed towards another Ray product is putting it mildly, but if someone has fitted one and can tell me different I’d love to hear.

My research tends to indicate that a below decks unit is essential, possibly with a rudder reference unit needed as well.

Any recommendations? In particular I’d like to hear how they perform under the “acid test” if sailing downwind with a quartering sea.

Many thanks

Graeme
#366 ‘Jaskar’, Falmouth