[C320-list] Replacement Autopilot recommendation

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Thu Jul 30 05:45:56 PDT 2015

Graeme - I have gone through 3 Raymarine wheel drive autopilots before
finally listening to Scott Thompson (actually, reading his excellent
write-up) and installing a Raymarine below deck linear drive.  On the first
sea trial, we put a waypoint into our chartplotter and took off in 25 knots
of apparent wind close hauled with the response set to 5 (highest) and no
reefs in the sails.  Had we not disengaged the pilot about 100 yards out
from the waypoint, a big channel marker, we would have run the marker over.
The drive is made for a boat of about 24,000 pounds displacement and ours is
what, less than 12,000?  This was probably the best investment yet for Sea
Shadow, an already superbly pimped out boat!

We sail in the shallow Chesapeake Bay where there is considerable chop in
almost all conditions.  The linear drive holds a true course in everything
the Bay has thrown at it so far.  I am fairly confident, after over 2
seasons, that this should be the last autopilot I will need to buy.

Hope this helps!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Herrington Harbour South