[C320-list] Replacement Autopilot recommendation

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jul 30 06:33:47 PDT 2015

Since I'm replacing *nearly everything* after the lightning, I'm in the process of installing an EV-200 below deck AP now.  I'm using the same installation approach as Scott and Allan.  I've also made CAD drawings of the backing plates which I'm picking up tomorrow from the machine shop.  If they fit, I'll make these dfx files available on the website.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is where all the various electronic control packs are going to be located.  I have zero today, I'll have several after the whole equipment install process is done.

I'm very concerned about the limited steering travel with below deck AP given the very tight low speed turns I'm frequently required to make where we dock.  I suppose it'll be something I have to get used to, but I'm going to speak with some experts to understand why the tiller arm/AP Ram geometry should limit the max rudder travel to 70 degrees.

I think the one thing I'll miss with below deck AP is the ability to flip the wheel pilot engage lever and lock the wheel.  Since we're on a dock in a river with reversing current we must lock the wheel or we'll damage the steering system when the tide reverses.  My brake needs to be replaced so that'll have to happen now.

I suspect the EV series is an improvement over the older AP control units, but we'll see.  Our ST4000+ has been absolutely rock solid for 12 years.  But since we remove the wheel frequently, the motor connector is a major design fail in my opinion.  Simply a terrible design that would be SO EASY to have done correctly with a two pin plug with a screw on boot similar to the design many Remote VHF Microphones have.

-Jeff Hare #809