[C320-list] Forum "architecture"

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 14:16:41 PDT 2015

Jeff

I don't seem to be making my point very well!  I am all for newly posted messages arriving in your email inbox. I can quite understand the attraction of that for the reasons you and others state.
My issue is that this is still achievable with a forum structure (‘phorum’ was previously mentioned as opens source software that allows this).
BUT - the advantage you then get is a very easy to read archive of topics (like our Google groups archive) which you can quickly look through to find if the issue that concerns you has already ben covered.
The only problem with the Google Groups archive is that you can not add to the thread from there.
So - I recently posted a question about autopilots.  before I did that i could have looked at the archive (or searched the forum if there was one) for similar questions. I could then (on a forum, but not on our archive) have quickly posted a supplementary question etc to reopen the discussion.

Someone else wrote "Ultimately, the Association leadership will do what it deems to be the best interest of the membership in light of what the majority demands.”

But if the majority is silent - always thinking it is a minority - how on earth does the leadership work out what is in the best interests etc?

So as I have said - forgive me if I seem critical -  but if nobody ever says “does anyone else think this room is too warm”, the entire meeting sits in discomfort.

If I am a sole voice then, no, no need to consider it further BUT bear in mind that by definition those replying to this will not be the ones that have given up with what they perceive to be an unwieldy and antiquated system!

I will now butt-out of the discussion -  I have made my case; it is up to others to evaluate if it has merit or not :-)

Best wishes

Graeme