[C320-list] Perkins m 30

Donald Lawson dnclaws at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 21:45:09 PDT 2015

A club member of mine has a Deerfoot 62 with a 4cyl Yanmar. Been around the world. They are on their way again this year. He uses Mobil 1 synthetic Diesel. Boat is 15+ years old.  Has nearly 4000 hours on 4cyl Turbo'd Yanmar. Had it serviced recently ( oil analysis, compression, etc) and all is good to go. Convinced me. If oil has additive to remove Diesel soot then should be fine.  Filled and drained a couple of times as oil and synthetic don't mix well. I use Mobil 1 diesel synthetic  in my Yanmar. I follow the guidelines for the engine oil & filter replacement.  More expensive but seems to run a tad bit cooler. Current API codes exceed API codes of old API codes. Rotella is fine.  Enclosed is enough info to confuse you.
CC – Moderate Duty Diesel and Gasoline Engine Service – OBSOLETE
CD – Severe Duty Diesel Engine Service – OBSOLETE
CD-II – Severe Duty Two-Cycle Diesel Engine Service – OBSOLETE
CE – Very Severe Diesel Engine Service – OBSOLETE

CF-4 – Severe Diesel Engine Service – CF-4 is designed to replace the CE engine oil classification. CF-4 designates oils with additive packages for protecting high speed, low emission, four stroke diesels in heavy duty on-highway applications. Requirements for CF-4 oils include greater oxidation resistance, high activity detergents and dispersants to prevent sludging and deposits. Oil consumption requirements have also been stiffened. CF-4 oils supersede CD and CE oils and may be used where these service classifications are recommended. LE’s 8800 MONOLEC ULTRA Engine Oil and LE’s 8130 MONOLEC ULTRA-BLEND Engine Oil exceed API CF-4 rating.
CF – Indirect Injected Diesel Engine Service – Service typical of indirect injected diesel engines and other diesel engines that use a broad range of fuel types, including those using fuel with sulfur content above 0.5%. Requirements include control of piston deposits, wear and bearing corrosion. Engines may be naturally aspirated, turbocharged or supercharged. CF rated oils may be used when API CD oils are called for. LE’s 8800 MONOLEC ULTRA Engine Oil, LE’s 8130 MONOLEC ULTRA-BLEND and LE’s MONOLEC GFS Engine Oil meet the CF requirements.
CF-2 – Severe Duty Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine Service – Service typical of two-stroke cycle diesel engines requiring highly effec- tive control of wear and deposits. Oils designed for this service demonstrate improved performance over API CD-II oils and can be used wherever API CD-II oils are recommended.
CG-4 – 1994 Diesel Engine Service – CG-4 is intended to address engine wear and deposit issues linked to fuel specifications and engine designs that are required to accommodate 1994 EPA emissions regulations. CG-4 oils exceed the requirements of the API CF-4 service category and replace CF-4. These oils are particularly suited to on-highway, heavy duty truck applications. When combined with the appropriate “S” category, they can also be used in gasoline and diesel powered personal vehicles -- i.e., automobiles, light trucks and vans-when recommended by the vehicle or engine manufacturer. LE’s 8800 MONOLEC ULTRA and LE’s 8130 MONOLEC ULTRA-BLEND Engines Oils meet CG-4 specifications.
CH-4 – 1998 Reduced Emission Diesel Engine Service – The CH-4 category is intended to address the requirements for high-speed, four stroke diesel engines to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards. CH-4 oils are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels con- taining up to 0.5% sulfur. They can also be used in gasoline engines when combined with the appropriate “S” category when the vehicle or engine manufacturer recommends. CH-4 oils can replace those rated CD, CE, CF-4, and CG-4. LE’s 8800 MONOLEC ULTRA meets the CH-4 specification and is rated API CH-4, CF, CF-2/SM.
CI-4 – 2002 Severe-Duty Diesel Engine Service – The API CI-4 Service category describes oils for use in those high-speed, four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards, to be implemented October 2002. These oils are compounded for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.05% by weight. These oils are especially effective at sustaining engine durability where Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and other exhaust emission componentry may be used. Optimum protection is provided for control of corrosive wear tendencies, low and high temperature stability, soot handling properties, piston deposit control, valvetrain wear, oxidative thickening, foaming and viscosity loss due to shear. API CI-4 oils can effectively lubricate engines calling for API CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 Service Categories. LE’s 8888 MONOLEC EGR Plus Engine Oil meets the CI-4 and CI-4 Plus specification.
CJ-4 – 2006 Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Service; Exhaust Aftertreatment – Introduced in 2006. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2007 model year on-highway exhaust emission standards. CJ-4 oils are compounded for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, use of these oils with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or oil drain interval. CJ-4 oils are effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning, particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low and high temperature stability, soot handling properties, oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval. 8800 MONOLEC ULTRA Engine Oils meet the API CJ-4 specification.
Don Lawson
Mandolin Wind #1004