[C320-list] Perkins m 30

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 5 11:54:59 PDT 2015

Two quarts?? Is that the spec from Yanmar? Perkins specs are 3.8 liters (4.01 gal/US) I usually get about 3-1/2 qts out when changing oil. I change the oil twice a season: once after about 50-100 hours and when winterizing regardless of hours. I change the filter only when winterizing.

Could it be that you are not getting all the old oil out? This can be a problem if you are pumping through the dip stick. Unless your engine burns an excessive amount of oil, you should be getting about 85% of the rated capacity out. If you have a threaded plug in the oil pan, I've heard of drill/tapping the plug and inserting a barb with hose as a permanently installed oil drain. We Perkins owners are fortunate as this engine has an installed rigid tube into the oil pan for the purpose of pumping out the oil.

So, 6 gal lasts me 3 seasons. I buy 6 because that is how it is packed at Sam's Club. That works out to $13/gal. At WM it's $20, Kmart $17 (prices incl. tax.) Not to mention that the price goes up each year. Some have said that I'm tighter than a duck's ass and that's water tight. Others say I'm so tight that I can squeeze a nickel until the Indian is riding the buffalo. (For you younger kids, there used to be a nickel with an Indian on one side and a buffalo on the other.) But, don't you believe a word of those criticisms. I'm just naturally frugal.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62