[C320-list] Folding Steering Wheel

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Fri Jun 19 06:38:47 PDT 2015

Hi Bruce,

I recently upgraded to the Lewmar 40" folding wheel.  The upgrade is
easy, but you need to make sure you have the straight/parallel hub on
the wheel.  You can order the wheel with both hubs (the Morris taper hub
comes standard).

On Moonstruck II (#847) the stock wheel, which was leather-wrapped, was
getting nicked by the port settee whenever it was opened or closed.  The
Lewmar wheel is swept back enough that that is no longer an issue.  It
is easier to get around, even when not folded.

The only problem that I ran into was with the mounting of the autohelm
(Raymarine ST4000).  The spokes on the Lewmar wheel are thicker (larger
diameter) than the spokes on the standard wheel. Also, as mentioned
before, they are swept back a bit.  So, if you have the wheel autopilot,
you need a different set of mounting brackets that are larger diameter
and deeper.  Defender sells sets of mounting brackets of all sizes.
However, one set is actually a set of all sizes for one spoke.  So, I
needed three sets.  That adds up a bit, and you are buying a bunch of
brackets when you can only use one from each set.  You may be able to
find brackets elsewhere, such as eBay, for less.

That having been said, the wheel is great!  The 40" is what you want,
especially if you like to sit on the high or low side, rather than
behind the wheel.  It has a great feel to it.

Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)