[C320-list] Remove mast to replace rigging?

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Jun 23 05:13:27 PDT 2015

Larry,

Taking the mast down for this job really is a good opportunity for many of
the reasons mentioned.  In the overall scheme of things it shouldn't be very
expensive to unstep/restep but whether there's equipment locally to do that
is another matter.

While it's down, here are my favorites:

1) We bought a roll of 2.5" silver SOLAS reflective tape and put a band
around the very top of the mast.  The adhesive is really super strong and
ours has lasted 9 years now with no signs of UV damage or peeling.  Even a
tiny flashlight causes the top of mast on our boat to light up like a beacon
at night which is awesome when looking for your boat in a mooring field at
night.  (Come to think of it.... I probably shouldn't have given that tip
away.  Well, have a beer ready anyway when we start boarding your boat by
accident.  :)

2) You could also use the opportunity to install a small inspection plate at
the bottom of the mast so that you can fix/install wiring if needed without
dropping the mast.  Also, it would make it possible to clean out the gunk
that collects down the mast and clogs the drain port.  I recall that
Charleston indicated that there was no structural issue with doing this, and
they may be able to supply some info here.

3) REPLACE the mast head sheaves.  They are inexpensive and it'll make
hoisting sails easier, also be easier on your lines.

4) As Dick mentioned, GREAT time to replace all the bulbs with LEDs from
MarineBeam or other supplier.

5) If you don't have them, add a Stainless U strap and a small Harken block
to the bottom of each spreader for flag halyards (we run a radar reflector
up one and flags up the other).   Many boats already have these however.

In our early years of owning this boat, we unstopped our mast each fall
because of our storage location.  It was a non-event and allowed us to
clean/polish it.

-Jeff Hare