[C320-list] New Fuel Tank update.

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Mar 26 10:21:38 PDT 2015

Hello,

I've just about finalized the design of a new C320 fuel tank with Ezell.
The key points are:

1) It's thicker than the stock tank (for hulls build prior to ~2004).
(0.125" vs 0.090")
2) It has quite a bit of extra capacity.  Estimate ~25-28gal  but we'll see
how it measures.
3) Sized to fit through the aft cabin access door unmodified just like the
stock tank
4) Doesn't require modifying the starboard aft locker shelf.
5) Should provide little easier access to the sender
6) Allows routing the Aft water tank fill and vent lines along a shorter,
more direct path and more out of the way.
7) Similar improved routing for the two bilge pump lines.
8) We'll roll a couple of layers of Herculiner truck bed liner paint over
the bottom and sides of the tank to ensure that if some stray metal object
rolls  in contact with the tank, that we won't end up with a corrosion hole.

Using this new tank will require adjustments to 2 of the 3 small wooden
fiddle boards that hold the tank in position.  But the existing ones took me
just a few minutes to remove so I don't anticipate any trouble there.

While I'm in there replacing the tank, I'll be doing the following:
- Scrub down and clean out the whole aft locker area
- Replace the Aft water tank fill/vent hoses (they are looking a bit gross
after all these years).  Unfortunately, there is just no way to run the fill
line or vent lines so that they don't have dips in them that hold standing
water.
- Replace and reroute the blower and fresh air intake hoses to the engine.
They are currently 3" white dryer vent junk and probably don't work as
intended.  I'm planning on using 3" flexible ventilation hose instead of
that cheap dryer vent stuff so that there is better airflow in/out of the
engine compartment and won't collapse or constrict.  In addition, I'm
rerouting them so that they're both running well out of the way at the aft
most end of the boat.
- In the process, I'll mount the blower motor on a flexible dense foam block
I have kicking around to see if it runs more quietly not being bolted
directly to the hull (we never use it because it sounds like a jet taking
off today).

I'll try to document the whole process with as many pictures as I can.

-Jeff
Woodbine II #809