[C320-list] Deck/steaming light question

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Thu Mar 26 20:38:53 PDT 2015

Graeme,

Here is a write-up that I submitted a while back when I made the same
repairs.

On my particular boat, I have the Aqua Signal steaming light fixture.
It's this one:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=461&ParentCat=335
[1]

For the steaming light, it takes the following bulb:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=151
[2]
These are the special "Dimpled ended" bulbs. Very hard to find. I went
to three local stores before I found one. One store manager told me he
could order the old style but no longer stocks it because they aren't
selling enough. He did "helpfully" try to interest me in buying a newer
masthead fixture, which I declined... ;-)

The deck light was the bayonet type halogen bulb shown here:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=192
 [3]I have no idea if there's a compatible LED that is the right
connection type and brightness for this application.

As for the anchor light, my ORIGINAL fixture took the same bulb as the
steaming light (with the dimpled ends). But as I said, it was crumbling
and had to be replaced. I replaced it with an identical Aqua Signal
fixture from West Marine. Here's the fixture I bought:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=286&ParentCat=335
[4]
But since 2011, Aqua Signal has been making their fixtures to use the
pointed end bulbs, which is apparently the new style. See the special
note on the CatalinaDirect page linked above for the anchor light.

So, BOTTOM LINE: If your C320 is pre-1998, and has the original
fixtures, the bulbs listed above will work. Sometime in late 1998 or
1999, they switched to the Hella fixture pictured here:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1037&ParentCat=335
[5]

If you're 1999 or newer, you'll need to do your own research on the
Hella fixture to see what bulbs it needs. I have no idea because it does
not apply to me. I suggest you get a good camera with a telephoto lens
and snap a picture of the steaming light fixture and compare the the
styles listed in CatalinaDirect to figure out what brand you have.

Remember when handling the halogen deck light bulbs, you should not
touch the bulb surface with your hands. The oils in your hand will coat
the bulb and cause premature burn-out.

As for the switch, maybe this one?
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/138_715/switch-rocker-wred-on-indicator.cfm

Good luck!

---
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us

On 2015-03-26 18:09, Graeme Clark wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the type of bulbs I need - its the original fitting from my 1996 bat but its 4 hours drive away so I can simply go and get the old ones out!
>
> Also where can I get a replacement panel switch to fit in the bank of switches that control lights etc.

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=461&ParentCat=335