[C320-list] Knock, knock, who's there?

Jim Sweet jamesweet at frontiernet.net
Thu May 14 15:51:35 PDT 2015

Bruce,

You have described , almost verbatim, a problem that we have had since late
last year.  The only differences are that the knocking doesn't sound like it
occurs with every turn of the shaft because it only seems to happen  at
1900-2000 rpm in a hard port turn.  The knocking  sounds like someone is
tapping the hull with a rubber hammer possibly in the aft lazerette.  I had
the boat pulled and the marina couldn't find anything and suggested that the
very minor play in the rudder meant that the bearings needed replacing.
Didn't feel right so I declined the service.  I have crawled around in the
lazerettes and can't find anything loose and I plan on pulling EVERYTHING
out of the storage areas to see if there is something loose.  I even checked
the aft water tank to see if there was any play in that.  Someone suggested
the transmission but I was below with She Who Must Be Obeyed driving to
produce the noise and it didn't seem to be anywhere near the tranny or shaft
coupling.  Even my gearhead friends are stumped.  If anyone finds a solution
or what the problem is please post it.  Thanks.

Jim Sweet
TGIF (Thank God It Floats) 902