[C320-list] Port windows

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed May 20 10:29:23 PDT 2015

Ted,

Many options here as you've already learned.   There are 4 simple things you
can do/check and see if this fixes your problems before resorting to
rebedding, because that's often not required.

>From your hull number I suspect you have the more rectangular version of the
side opening portlights.

1. Looking at them from the outside, the aluminum frame is composed of a top
piece and a bottom piece.  Where they meet on the left and right, you may
see a horizontal black stripe that may/may not still be filled with black
sealant.  First thing here is that these need to be sealed to prevent water
from getting in there.  When water gets into the frame, it has nowhere to go
but inside the boat.

2. Remove the plastic trim piece on the inside (it should just snap off).
This exposes the clamping bolts that hold the frame snug to the hull.  On
our boat, several of these had loosened up to the point where I could just
spin them easily with my fingers.  Snug these up but don't be overly
aggressive.  Check around the seal for any obvious signs of water intrusion.
If step 1 above needed to be done, and/or the bolts were really loose, this
could easily account for water coming in the frame.

3. The rubber portlight seals are relatively easy to replace if they're
really worn and will stop water coming in through the glass/rubber seal
area.  If they don't look in bad shape, wash them with soapy water, and also
ensure that the glass is clean where they meet.  Use some plumbers o-ring
grease to lubricate these seals and make a clean fit.  Dirt on the windows
will allow water to weep in, so always try to keep the glass and rubber
seals clean and lubricated.

4. Your boat may have dogs that can be adjusted somewhat for closing the
windows.  If they don't close tightly, then the dogs may need to be adjusted
slightly to apply more pressure.  If they cannot be adjusted, then new seals
will solve this problem.

Only if these things don't solve the leak should you attempt to re-bed them.
The bedding may be fine, but one or more of the above might be causing the
leak and they're much easier to fix.  Lewmar came and did a full
presentation of how to fix leaks in these different portlight styles when we
were at the San Diego Coronado regatta.  There may be documents on the
website related to fixing leaks here, but I cannot remember offhand.

Good luck!

-Jeff Hare