[C320-list] Port windows

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Wed May 20 09:55:49 PDT 2015

I also made the same repair using this method. I can say that without a
doubt it worked. Try this BEFORE you go replacing the entire window and
see if it solves your problem. If you devote 1 entire day to making this
repair, you could fix all of your windows in one session. Get them all
taped up first and then go around with the caulk and do each one like an
assembly line. I used the white 4200 and it looks factory. You can buy a
cheap set of dental picks at Harbor freight that will help you yank out
the old gasket material.

Below is a link to a blog article from someone who owns a C-36 and
repaired his fixed ports the same way. These fixed ports (like the ones
we have on our C320's) also have the same joint in the frame, though
mine haven't leaked yet. The pictures are very useful and if you've
spent any amount of time studying your ports, you can see that the
repair process is very similar. When you do yours, do it with the window
open, and make sure to tape off the inside of the frame as well as the
mating surface where the window closes and the o-ring to prevent getting
any sealant where it doesn't belong. I highly recommend caulking the
inside as well as the outside. The inside trim frame is only held on
with Velcro and will come off easily with a little tug.

http://blog.taas.it/2013/05/for-catalina-36-ia-community.html [1]

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if you have questions, as I
have done all of my windows this way even if they haven't leaked yet.

As for the cracked "insert", I assume you mean this:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1517_694/opening-port-replacement-trim-lewmar-5-x-12.cfm

Unfortunaltely, they are no longer available. You'll have to make a
repair of some kind.

---
Doug Treff
Catalina 320 - 1996 - September Song - #350
http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/
doug at treff.us

On 2015-05-20 12:38, tharrison at innovations-plus.com wrote:

> I have a 1997 hull 424.
>
> The opening port side windows leak. In addition there is a cream colour insert in side that is cracked.
>
> Has any one replaced the opening port (lewmar) windows?

Links:
------
[1] http://blog.taas.it/2013/05/for-catalina-36-ia-community.html