[C320-list] Water Tank Balance

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sat May 23 19:44:57 PDT 2015

We are cruisers as well.  We always use up the forward tank first and then the aft tank.  Having the water weight removed from the front of the boat first seems to improve trim when sailing and motoring.  Using each tank separately also provides ample warning that our fresh water storage is getting low too.  Also, the forward tank will drain water into the empty aft tank to find equilibrium, so we independently shut of one tank valve when we open the other valve.  I have found that if we keep both tanks in use, then when we run out of water, we are out - not a good thing when we are anchoring for several days in the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands where potable water can be a little scarce.

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107
Mukilteo, Washington