[C320-list] Westerbeke fuel pump

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Tue May 26 10:19:47 PDT 2015

Joe,
 If the fuel pump was recently replaced and it is possible that the power wire connection to the pump may not be properly secure or strong enough to carry the current needed to run the pump.  You should hear the fuel pump "clicking" when the engine is running as that would signal that your pump is indeed cycling. Keep in mind that the fuel pump (Westerbeke) will only run when the engine cranks enough oil pressure and the oil pressure switch is then closed so as to allow the fuel pump to only run when the engine is running. An alternative test that may be more reliable then listening to hear the fuel pump running/clicking, is to pull off the two oil pressure sending unit wires (tabs) located on the oil pressure switch near the left side front of the engine near the oil drain hose....temporarily connect them together to hot wire the fuel pump circuit to close that circuit so your fuel pump should be powered up whenever you turn the key to the "on" position without having to start the engine; and then you should hear the fuel pump "clicking" if your fuel pump is powered up & running indicating that your fuel pump is correctly wired/grounded. It is not recommended that you run the fuel pump for any length of time in a "hot wired" condition for safety reasons because if your engine stalls out and there is a fuel leak your fuel pump will continue to run. BTW, if your engine stalls and will not restart, it is a good idea to always check to be sure one of the oil sender wires is not broken or disconnected from the oil sender switch because the fuel pump is powered only when those wires are properly secured to the oil sender switch... been there, done that.  If you are not hearing the fuel pump run or click, you may have a broken or disconnected hot wire to the fuel pump or it may be poorly grounded when it was replaced. It is also possible that you may have a defective replacement fuel pump. We learned we had a broken power lead to the fuel pump when our Westerbeke motor could still fire up and run when the fuel pump was not working, but there was enough fuel in the tank ( above 1/4 full in flat seas) to gravity flow fuel to the engine for it to run, even at higher RPMS, while not completely up to the power level as when the fuel pump is working. When the fuel level fell below 1/4 the engine stalled and would not restart until I added a gallon of fuel and then later discovered I had a broker power wire connected to the replacement fuel pump.  I also found that replacement fuel pumps are available from NAPA  for around $30, so I now keep an extra pump onboard along with extra wire connectors in our spare parts box.
Rick
My-Ria 95 320 hull #277