[C320-list] Auto Pilot - Wheel vs. Direct Drive

Jeffrey Brown oceanblues at mac.com
Fri Nov 6 09:32:43 PST 2015

I know this topic has been discussed dozens of times but wanted to throw it out there again. There is a significant additional cost to install the direct drive autopilot vs. the wheel pilot. I’ve heard the additional install cost can range from $1500 to $2500.  For those of you that did go this route and had previously used the wheel pilot, was it worth the extra cost? I’ve used the wheel pilot for years, and for the most part it has worked well, until it began to lose it's mind recently taking random turns which is causing me to replace it this year, its the original, 20 years old.

Jeff Brown
"Out of the blue" Dana Point, CA
Catalina 320, Hull 78
(949) 350-5123