[C320-list] Electric Bilge Pump Inline Filter - Good Idea?

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Tue Nov 17 16:00:15 PST 2015

Abe,

Karl got me thinking about this subject when he posted is aft locker bilge
alarm. His ideas are really good.

Here is my alarm system:

http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20141020141554767&i=20151118132738479&p=1

Here is my bilge pump project and it is comprehensive.

http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/download.php?mid=20141021083025421

 The only reason I spent so much time on this was because I single hand
offshore 30 miles sometimes and I spook easy. The other day I was 15 miles
off shore in good weather sailing and my radio weather alert when off and I
thought it was my bilge alarm. Wow. It spooked me.

Here is the projects I would consider in order of importance / bang for the
buck assuming you don’t sail single handed and close to shore most of the
time.

1. Rig an alarm so you know if your bilge is running or better yet an
independent switch. This one is $73.00.
http://aqualarm.net/bilge-alarms-switches-c-6/20240-bilge-high-water-warning-with-detector-p-71.html

2.      2. Carry spare parts for your primary pump

3.     3. Upgrade your manual pump to a 28GPM whale. Look at Catalina
direct of for the pump.  Your electric primary is 5GPM.  It believe the
pump you want is a Titan. It is higher capacity but it has the same screw
holes.

4.      4. Put a counter on your primary pump. Most if the leaking we find
are old leaks that are leaking but we don’t know about them. I have a
counter so I know how many cycles my pump has had. The counter is made by
aqua alarm. This counter is $69.00.
http://aqualarm.net/bilge-alarms-switches-c-6/20045-bilge-pump-counter-12v-24v-32v-p-83.html

5.      5. Next as Warren states you can put your high water pump almost
anywhere. I have a rule 3700 $150.00 mounted in a deep bilge but you could
just have it ready to deploy manually if need be. I spend money drilling
hole in my boat for the output but I sail alone quite a bit and don’t have
time to fix a leak and get the pump going.

Danny