[C320-list] exhaust blockage

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Nov 20 14:21:37 PST 2015

Something else you could check is the governor.  This is the assembly just below the front end of the heat exchanger where the throttle cable connects to the engine.

You might take the cable off this arm and make sure that the arm actually moves through the whole range.  We had a small seawater leak in the heat exchanger just above it which dripped and ran down over the place where this arm enters the engine.  The arm got difficult to move and by removing the cable and spraying a little penetrating oil in there we were able to free it up so that it again moved smoothly across the whole range.

As I point out from time to time, the engine throttle lever really controls a speed governor.  When you set the lever for 1500 RPM, the governor keeps the engine running at a constant 1500 RPM by automatically varying the fuel delivery as the load on the engine increases and decreases.  So, if the exhaust elbow or other exhaust obstruction isn’t the problem and the Air intake isn't somehow blocked up, the fuel system is next.

Chris is right that there were some cold start(?) problems related to the routing of the fuel return line, but I would be surprised if those problems weren't totally resolved in all affected hulls by now.

BTW, what kind of propeller do you have and do you know what pitch?

-Jeff Hare