[C320-list] Visiting Fl. Keys - any tips?

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:41:29 PST 2015

We spend Jan and Feb in the Keys each winter and have lots of
opinions.  If you are into wildlife at all, on your way to or from the
Keys from Miami, Anhinga Trail  (part of the Everglades National Park)
just west of Homestead is a must see (gators!, anhingas, storks,
herons, egrets, osprey, gallinules, ibis, turtles, vultures, garfish,
cormorants, more gators, etc all very, very close).  On the way to or
from Anhinga Trail, stop at "Robert Is Here" fruit stand, a true
delight with fruits and veggies you've never heard of before.  Try one
of their exotic smoothies.  Expect crowds.

Just past Key Largo heading west is the Florida Keys Wild Bird
Rehabilitation Center, a great opportunity to get close to seabirds
and wading birds plus many abandoned and injured native and exotic
birds in large cages (the pelicans have the right-of-way on the
boardwalks).  People there are truly dedicated to rehabbing injured
animals and the displays are uplifting.  Again, this is for those who
like wildlife.

Snorkeling on one of the charter boats out of John Pennekamp State
Park is a bit of a circus (they don't call them cattle boats for
nothing), but renting a kayak at Pennekamp and exploring the nearby
mangrove trails is fun, especially on a weekday.

The original (or so they claim) African Queen is located near milepost
100 in Key Largo.  Worth a look and even a sunset cruise. Foodwise,
Mrs. Mac's in Key Largo (either location) has really good conch and
gator fritters and Key Lime pie.  If you're ordering fish, go with the
Lionfish and help save the Florida reefs. They're an introduced
nuisance but fortunately tasty and need to be eliminated. It's
virtuous seafood.

Key West is 100 miles beyond Key Largo and traffic to and especially
back can be absolutely horrendous.  It's entertaining and historical
but doing the drive in one day can be worse than exhausting.

Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center
www.keepthemflying.org/

Robert is Here
https://robertishere.com/

Anhinga Trail - National Park Service
www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/anhinga-trail.htm

--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"You noticed nobody gives a damn about beached minnows."