[C320-list] sizes of companionway hatch slides

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Nov 23 14:04:30 PST 2015

Warren,

 Have you ever tried Starbrite tropical teak sealer? It is a wax like
substance that completely seals off the grain and when renewed every couple
of seasons, keeps the teak looking very nice as it ages. The sealer also
serves to keep out the moisture and the dirt that water would otherwise suck
into the  unprotected grain.

One small can will last a decade or more. I went with the lighter color. It
does help to open up the teak with a light sanding if the teak it is badly
stained, or you could just coat over what you have.

I had to replace the overlapping sections on lower two boards due to wear
and tear chipping damage vs. forking over $400 plus the cost of shipping off
the old boards to Catalina Direct and then the shipping cost for both sets
of boards back to me. Tried the  PVC hatch board route and even contracted
with PlasTEAK here in Ohio for an identical set of hatch boards that were
supposed to be custom cut. But,  after three failed attempts and over three
trips to their shop, I abandoned their approach. I did end up with the last
set of very badly cut PVC boards and used then for 1 week in the spring when
I refurbished my old set of boards and was very surprised to learn that the
PVC boards were severely bowed after absorbing direct sunlight that heated
up the material and permanently distorted those boards. Will be going with a
set of opening companionway doors from Zacor in the spring.
Rick