[C320-list] Standing rigging during layup

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Fri Oct 2 13:17:56 PDT 2015

Hello Marek:

I have been removing the mast from my boat ever since I purchased it in
2005.  Each year after the yard removes the mast we had stored it in the
shed.  Last year I moved to a different yard and they have the mast rack
outside so I now cover the entire mast and lines with plastic wrap.  In
the spring I inspect the mast and hardware top to bottom, completely
wash the mast, then remove old wax with Collinite cleaner and apply a
fresh coat of Collinite paste wax.  I buff with a professional buffer.
I do the same to the entire hull,cabin exterior and cockpit.  The boat
is sailed in salt water but after 15 years both mast and hull appear
completely new with a bright relfective surface.  Does wonders for the
aesthetics and future resale.

My yard charges  $400 for unstepping and restepping in spring plus $80
for rack storage but I can work on the mast when is is on the rack.  I
have to tune the rig myself after they secure all standing rigging.

Jeff
Petite Suite
Hull 718

---