[C320-list] Holding tank leak

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 9 08:29:31 PDT 2015

All:

Over the past couple of weeks I have been finding brownish liquid collecting
in the aft bilge section. In a seven day period it was never higher than
would allow it to drain into the main section where the bilge pump hoses are
located. Never malodorous, it was always sponged up and disposed of (I'm a
fanatic for latex gloves on the boat thankfully). The leak leaves a trail
from the bilge back under the starboard side head area.

Thursday I did my first (and final) pump out for the year as I am readying
the boat for haul out and winter storage. The process is to pump 15 gallons
of fresh water thru the head, pump out the tank, and repeat. The result of
this was to find a small amount of clear water in the bilge where I had been
finding brown. I rather think that this is a holding tank leak. That the
aroma is not objectionable I credit to this being the first year since
getting the boat that we only day sailed and raced; managing no overnights.
Thus I suspect the content is a little urine and a lot of local river water.

If anyone has experienced this, please feel free to contact me directly. I
am swamped with a host of family and personal commitments that will likely
prevent me from doing any research on the matter until after the boat is on
the hard on November 01. If anyone can give me a jump on possible cause and
corrective action it would be a boon. Not having had the opportunity to
actually look, I am not even sure at the moment whether the fill/empty
fittings are on the top of the tank. If they are, then it must be a tank
failure but if they're not, then it could be a hose failure or a loose
fitting.

Insight would be appreciated. If a tank failure, then I need to confirm this
before closing up Bear for the winter - allowing me to source a new tank.
And writing of that, if anyone has done a tank replacement, then information
on source and the pitfalls of the replacement process are likely also
timely.

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too