[C320-list] Transmission Problem

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 18 13:32:15 PDT 2015

I'm not an expert on trans and mine (Hurth) isn't the same as yours, so here
goes. If you rule out the prop, check the throw range of the shifter at the
transmission. It's very important that the neutral, fwd, and reverse
positions are very close to spec.
Once underway in a calm, protected area, detach the cable from the shift
lever and manually shift the transmission while the engine I running noting
how far and where each position is. Are you still getting the "bangs" when
shifting and once in gear? If not, perhaps the cable isn't positioning the
shifter accurately: not moving forward or back enough to fully engage. If
you are still getting "bangs" there may be some excessive wear in the box.
I know on my Hurth transmission there are two pivot points in the shift
lever (on the transmission.) There is a specific throw distance in each
direction for each pivot point. They say it is very important that these
limits be reached when shifting.
Perhaps you can find the manual for your transmission to get the similar
specifications.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62