[C320-list] Recent traffic

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Wed Oct 28 21:20:13 PDT 2015

Warren,
In my boating region where I have lived and docked for over 25 years, the
Western Basin of Lake Erie including the Lake Erie Islands,  there are many
small and larger marinas that support a very large number of boaters. In my
600 slip marina, there has been a visible decline in the number of slip
holders over the last 7 years. The boaters in my region are from a number of
Midwestern states in addition to a substantial culture of boaters who
conveniently live, or have relocated to, the Lake Erie shoreline area.  The
Western shores of lake Erie host boaters who dock in marinas from Southern
MI down to Toledo and along the shoreline well into Sandusky Bay. Many
boaters docking in this region live in Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati
population centers, as well as boaters from as far away as Indiana to the
West and PA to the East. Some larger marinas are experiencing  as much as 30
to 40% empty slips compared to only 10-15% empty slips back in 2008. There
are a large number of boats that remain on the hard during the summer and I
observed many boats abandoned as they sit for multiple years and decay.

While there is a visible  decline in the  number of active slip holders,
there also seems to be a lower annual number of new boaters to replace those
who annually get out of boating.  Smaller used boats on trailers are
increasingly popular in lieu of having a seasonal dock. There is a very good
market for used boats at the right price, while I have noted a lower
incidence of brand new boats being docked since the economy & stock market
tanked in 2008-09. Without starting a raging political debate, one must
understand that the lack of a real economic recovery is not very visible to
many younger people who are not feeling secure enough to get into the larger
boat markets. Given the uncertain business & job climate, even seasoned
boaters are not replacing their boats  to the same degree or "buying up" as
was the case less than a decade ago. Also must factor in the observation
that many higher paying jobs have been permanently lost in the Midwest and
replaced with lower wage jobs leaving many folks with less discretionary
income to spend on boating. The result of our national leadership deficit is
an inflated (overvalued) stock market & real-estate market and higher costs
of daily living while personal incomes are not keeping pace with past trends
( very low savings interest rates with high inflationary cost spikes while
the Federal Government  floated Quantitative Easing that actually devalued
each of our dollars moving forward over time).

 I doubt that anything will soon change until this country addresses high
taxes, low job growth and the out of control federal debt. The growth of
government programs at all levels combined with the  higher costs of that
bigger government cannot be sustained without even higher taxes and that
will further retard job growth and personal incomes. Marina vacancies are a
reflection of the local & national economies and the decline in my region is
evident. The real question has to be at what point will we see a reduction
in slips or a reduction in annual slip fees as the supply of slips is too
far ahead of the demand?  There is a shrinking market of potential active
boaters while many potential boaters are uncertain about their economic
futures....while on the other hand there are many boaters who were lucky
enough to prosper in spite of these trying times ( expanding health &
medical fields, banking/financial industries, state, federal & local
government employees, etc.) or, those who have retired and who made
significant past sacrifices and are now enjoying less competition for
transient docks!
Rick
My-Ria 95' C320, hull #277