[C320-list] Recent traffic

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 03:21:41 PDT 2015

From the other side of the “pond”…

We have always struggled for space over here - a small island country with a seafaring history - so traditionally  marina berths have been hard to come by with many marinas having waiting lists of several years (up to 10!) for a berth in popular areas such as the Solent, which if you don't know it is the center of British Yachting.

Supply and demand dictate prices so to keep your C320 berthed in one of the top marinas on the Solent, expect to pay around $10,000 a year.
Because supply is limited and demand high, “swinging moorings” are very popular for the summer season, with the boat lifted out onto the hard for winter. I’m not sure if you use the same term, but a swinging mooring is a buoy attached by a chain to a heavy weight on the seabed, usually in rows and rows and often serviced by the marina, with a water-taxi to take you to and from the boat.

In less popular areas the waiting list would generally be about three to five years for a berth and 2 to 4 years for a swinging mooring, I guess.

Whilst i am not aware of any empty slips anywhere I do get the impression that the waiting lists have shortened considerably. Apparently a lot of people who put their names on a waiting list several years ago, when contacted, tell the same story - they have ether sold their boat or given up on the idea of ever owning one.

Over here we are being told that it is a “buyers’ market” -  not that that gave me much negotiating power when i bought by C320 last year, i feel!

One thing that has become obvious to me over the years is that in Britain many many boats almost never go to sea! They either serve as a sort of floating holiday home (which compared to the cost of buying and maintaining a small apartment in a coastal holiday destination is very inexpensive) or else they remain a ‘dream’ of an owner who keeps meaning to do something about the boat that is slowly rotting where it lies.

It is amazing how many of these relatively expensive moorings and slips are occupied by boats that are clearly in need of serious maintenance before ever embarking on even the shortest passage!

Here, too, there has been some views expressed at the decline of new boaters. Young people today are hard pressed to save enough to start on home ownership, it will be many years before they are able - if ever - to afford the cost of buying and running a boat.

Rick’s final paragraph could apply equally, over here.

Best wishes

Graeme
#366, England