[C320-list] interstate SRM-4D Batteries

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 13 13:28:27 PDT 2015

In the "for what it's worth" category, here are my comments:
1. 4 years is minimum, 6-7 good, more is outstanding. Battery life depends on a number of things. Most important is to be kept fully charged and watered. Never discharge below 50%. Use temp compensation with a multi-stage digital charger. That said, there are random effects that can't be anticipated or easily explained. My last two SRM-4Ds were in great shape. Suddenly, one cell in one battery went dead. Not short, not open, just dead. Interstate dealer could not explain. Bought two new 4ds.

2. As the Adler-Barber Cold Machine draws about 5A, a low voltage disconnector of more than 20 amps would be overkill. The Blue Sea Systems device is, IMHO, overkill.

3. When without shore power, I try to recharge through the Bulk stage to the start of Absorption stage. This replaces the majority of power used. I typically use about 50-60A from the time the hook drops until morning plus another 30A through till evening if we don't run the engine. Thus, we get about 2 full days at anchor without running the engine. Then, with 2, 2-1/2 hours running, nearly the whole 90A can be replaced with our 80A alternator.

$445 each for Interstate SRM-4D?? Are you sure that wasn't for two? That is about what I paid for two. I can buy AGM 4Ds for about $400 each.

Final word: One thing that will prevent fully charging batteries are dirty connections. A voltage drop of just 0.5V will guarantee that your batteries will not be fully charged. Each connection between the alternator-batteries/batteries-ground must be cleaned periodically and protected. Don't believe me? Ask Nigel Calder.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62