[C320-list] need winch help, ASAP

Dave Ouimette drouimette at aol.com
Sun Sep 13 16:25:31 PDT 2015

I recently acquired a 1995 C320 and it's time to service the Lewmar Ocean Series winches.  I have two ST #30's and two #44's. Two problems surfaced: 1) I cannot figure out how to pull out the gear spindles. It is necessary to do this in order to remove the rachet gears and get to the pawls. They may have changed in later models but my winch spindles have a flush top with a small dimple and it is impossible to grab the spindle to remove it. It appears later models had a mushroom top which you could remove with fingers or a screw driver. Any ideas how to remove the spindle?  Next, it has been a while since the winches were service and there is some very hard old grease which is making is impossible to remove the main spindle. I have applied some PB blaster in hope of loosening the grease but no luck so far. Any thoughts on the best degreaser to use in this situation?  I feel like a street beggar asking for any change you can throw my way.

See page 43, figure five for a look at the gear spindles.

http://lewmar.com/assets/img/dataset/Manual-Winch%20Service%20Manual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf

Dave
Hull 174