[C320-list] Problem purchasing Battery Charger inline Fuses

DAVE Swanson kswanson123 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 15 23:17:01 PDT 2015

Jeff,

I ran into a similar problem this last spring when I upgaded my battery bank to Trojan T-105 GC batteries (450Ah) and installed a new Sterling Ultra Charge Pro 40A Charger.

I recall reading that you should size your charger for approximately 10% of your battery capacity, hence I upgraded my perfectly fine 2008 Charles 30A charger to the 40A Sterling.  I found that my stock inline charger fuses for my 2008 C320 Mk II were the KTK-40 A Buss fuses that you mentioned.  These KTK fuses are kind of expensive and I could not find them in a 50A rating.  I also read that you should size the in line charger fuses for 125% of the rated charger capacity, hence my 40A stock KTK fuses for my stock 30A charger.

Consequently, I was finding it difficult to located an equivalent KTK 50A fuse for my inline fuse holder for my new 40A charger.  Then I came across the same AGU glass fuses that you note.  These apparently are used in car stereo systems to protect current hungry amplifiers and subwoofer in these booming car stero systems.  These AGU glass fuses fit the stock in line fuse holders that my KTK-40 fuses used to fit in and they are very inexpensive.  So, that is what I am using currently in my new battery charger and GC battery upgrade.  I also have spares on board due to their low cost and availability.

I also have expensive Blue Sea ANL fuses within 8 inches of each battery positive post in accordance with AYBC.  I don’t quite remember their rating though.
upgraded
Anyway, i am using the AGU glass fuses in my set up.  They seem to work fine.

Dave