[C320-list] Mast wiring question

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 16 07:44:36 PDT 2015

Doug, a few years ago we pulled our mast for service. I ended up replacing
all the wiring and fixtures. I figured on a 1994 boat, why not do a complete
job while the mast is down. I tied a messenger to the old wires when I
pulled them out. Had to use wire snot (that's what I called it,) to assist
in pulling the new wires through the conduits. This stuff is a thick goo you
can buy locally (box stores) for this purpose. The wires run in PVC conduits
that slide onto a tracks inside the mast. Later models with a different
brand mast may find different conditions. I also pulled a new messenger
through with the new wires.
You may find, as did I, that there are connectors at the base of the mast on
deck where you can disconnect the wires. The yard guys didn't see the
connector box for the wind inst and cut the wire at the deck.
Someone mentioned TicTack wireless. I've seen favorable comments from owners
who have used TicTack.
Regardless of whether you replace the fixtures or not, replace all the
bulbs; and, clean the contacts well and use a conductive grease on them.
This will help to prevent future corrosion and resulting trips up the mast.
Also, be sure to thoroughly clean the mast slide and wipe down with a dry
lubricant.
Check all the rigging for wire feathers and strain on the swages.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62