[C320-list] Standing Rigging-Winter Layup

Chris Nichols cinichols at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 25 14:12:51 PDT 2015

This sounds very plausible as the coefficient of thermal linear expansion for Aluminium is 22 versus 16 for stainless.
This is in units of 10 to the minus 6 meters per degree Celsius per meter

If the change in temperature is say 60 c at most then the mast shortens 1.3mm per meter versus the rigging shortening 0.96mm per meter.
I reckon that means the rig is about 4mm slacker at 30 below zero if the hull were the same shape as when in the water.

Of course it is not.
The debate continues!

Chris