[C320-list] Standing Rigging-Winter Layup

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Sep 25 06:35:22 PDT 2015

Kaare,
No problems keeping the rigging set in its seasonal settings as long as the
stays are not set too tight. With the boat resting on its keel here on the
southern shore of Lake Erie in Sandusky Bay Ohio where the winter temps go
well below zero, there will be some natural seasonal adjustments to the hull
that will change the tension dynamics of the standing rigging, not to also
discount the other tension effects of the temperature swings from fall, to
winter, to spring, and even the vibration of the hull within the cradle due
to any extreme wind conditions while on the hard. After 21 winter storage
seasons we have not detected  an adverse impact upon the rigging, while we
also DO NOT have the rigging set very tightly while it is resting at the
dock. However, if you keep the rigging under high tension at the dock you
may experience even higher tension on the hard as the stern will naturally
deflect while it is stretched over the cradle and that may further tighten
the backstay & forestay. I can detect a hull change  that takes place after
about a week on the hard when I can begin to see the prop shaft deflecting
in the strut where the shaft contacts the edges of cutlass bearing vs. less
hull deflection when the boat is first placed on the hard.
Rick