[C320-list] Cabin sole replacement project..

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Apr 19 05:18:01 PDT 2016

Hi All,

The MKII boats that have the synthetic Lonwood cabin sole and the older
boats have the Loncoin flooring in the galley. So, I had an interesting
conversation with the technical guys at the Mfgr.  He mentioned I should
pass along this maintenance tidbit, especially as we all like to put
non-skid rugs down to protect the flooring.

"The material will last a long time and is relatively maintenance free so
that customers can enjoy the flooring for a long time and not worry about
future maintenance costs.  Just keep bleach and ammonia away from the
flooring and do not place rubber backed rugs on top of the vinyl.  The
rubber reacts with PVC and causes a chemical reaction called plasticizer
migration whereby the Lonseal will turn yellow over time.  Vinyl backed rugs
or the gel mats are great."

I believe using rubber cane tips as feet for the bottom of the boarding
ladder instead of plastic is probably an example of the yellowing he refers
to.  I've seen it on several boats.

-Jeff Hare