[C320-list] Starting Issue

Dave Ouimette drouimette at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 12:09:33 PDT 2016

Tim,

I had to chase a similar problem on our 1995 C320. As suggested by others, I started at the batteries and cleaned or replaced connectors all the way through the battery selector switch to the electrical bus behind the key/start panel on the binnacle. There were numerous suspect connections including the battery selector switch which I replaced. Another indicator of connections issues was a voltage drop from the battery to the electrical bus on the binnacle. By cleaning things up I was able to see a gain from about 11 volts at the binnacle to about 12 volts. But the real issue (I think) that caused a delay crank/poor crank speed, was a loose connector on the top of the solenoid which sits over the starter on our Perkins engine. Once that was isolated and corrected, engine starting has not faltered even once. Good luck.

Oh, by the way, I changed the wiring on the key switch such that the engine now starts like a car: first click energizes the gauges, second, against spring tension, turns over the starter. The push button which used to be the starter switch, now heats the glow plugs. I find this much more convenient and, to my way of thinking, more current is available to crank the  starter as opposed to cranking the starter at the same time the glow plugs are energized.

Dave
Hull 174