[C320-list] Water Heater Sacrificial Anode

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Aug 10 06:21:52 PDT 2016

I can't say much about the anode, but the antifreeze is a problem (In my
opinion).  First season owned the boat we used antifreeze and it took a long
time to get rid of the taste.  We don't do that anymore.  The other thing we
do is use lots of water.  When at the dock we typically don't turn on the
hot water heater.  We turn on the 'hot' water taps instead of the cold
typically when running the faucets because it draws water through the hot
water tank instead of directly from the water tanks.  So, it's cold water in
either case, we're just flushing the water heater more often.

Obviously after motoring around or running the water heater, that doesn't
apply.  As a friend used to say, they take Hollywood showers and fill the
sink when washing dishes to keep the water system fresh. Not a great idea on
a mooring but at the dock, what the heck?

-Jeff Hare